Bullet resistant glass windows can protect your business from stray gunfire and smash-and-grab thefts. There has been an uptick in violent robberies in the Downtown Los Angeles Jewelry District recently, and keeping your business safe should be your priority.
The targets of these attacks are primarily money lenders, jewelry stores, pawn shops, and businesses with small, easy-to-carry items like electronics or those that keep cash on the premises.
Bulletproof glass windows can protect your business from these attacks by preventing assailants from smashing through the windows and gaining access to the interior. These windows can keep your money, merchandise, and employees safe and protect your business.
However, there are many kinds of bullet resistant Plexiglass windows, and choosing the right type of window for your business is crucial. Explore the various bullet resistant Plexiglass windows to better understand which type of window might be right for you.
What is Bullet Resistant Plexiglass?
Bullet resistant Plexiglass is a transparent material that looks like glass but is made from a petroleum-based acrylic material that is lighter and stronger than other bullet resistant materials. Many people wonder if acrylic and Plexiglass windows are different, but in reality, they are the same. Plexiglass is a proprietary brand name for acrylic glass.
These bulletproof windows are highly versatile; they can be clear, colored, opaque, transparent, or translucent. They are available in both non-bullet resistant and bullet resistant varieties. Acrylic sheets can also be manufactured as a single monolithic sheet or made of several seamlessly laminated sheets.
The sheets have transparent edges, which give a clean, frameless, continuous look to the sheets, and they are easily polished and naturally abrasion-resistant.
What are the Different Kinds of Bullet Resistant Plexiglass?
Acrylic glass (Plexiglass) is the common name for polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA). It is a type of thermoplastic that is clear and classified as a type of glass, despite not being genuine glass. Due to its synthetic nature, acrylic glass is more robust, durable, and shatter-resistant than traditional glass.
Unlike other types of thermoplastics, acrylic glass is easy to shape, form, and manipulate, allowing it to be used for many applications. Plexiglass is one brand of acrylic glass, and like other kinds, it is available in different shapes, colors, thicknesses, and strengths.
Some of the types of bullet resistant acrylic glass and Plexiglass include:
- Colored acrylic sheets: The color of an acrylic glass pan can be changed to almost any hue using dyes during the manufacturing process. The color can be transparent or opaque.
Transparent acrylic sheets: These sheets have near-total optical clarity and are completely see-through. They are more durable, longer lasting, and more impact resistant than standard glass while providing the same look and transparency.
- Translucent acrylic sheets: These sheets are available with variable opacity while still allowing natural light to shine through. Higher opacity levels can be used when more privacy is required and less when more natural light is preferred. Many people find that 80% opacity is ideal for light and privacy, letting in enough natural light to feel warm and welcoming but opaque enough to protect privacy.
- Opaque acrylic sheets: These sheets block out all light and areas ideal for private or sensitive areas that need extra protection.
Can Plexiglass Be Bulletproof?
While no material is truly bulletproof, Plexiglass and other types of acrylic glass can be bullet resistant. Many consumers who are interested in purchasing bullet resistant glass or bullet resistant panels have questions about the efficacy of this material, including:
- How thick does Plexiglass need to be to stop a bullet?
Around 1.25”, depending on the caliber of the bullet. This thickness can stop bullets from 9mm, .44 Magnum or .357 pistols.
- Can polycarbonate withstand a bullet?
Yes, and it is one of the thinnest bullet resistant materials available, providing Level 1 protection at only ¾’’.
- Can Lexan stop a bullet?
If the Lexan is over 1’’ thick, it is considered bullet resistant.
- Is all Plexiglass bullet resistant?
No, but it can be manufactured to be bullet resistant.
How is Bullet Resistant Plexiglass Made?
Bullet resistant Plexiglass and other acrylic glasses are made in a controlled industrial environment using one of two processes. Sheets can be made in a process called casting or bulk polymerization.
In this process, a solution of a methyl methacrylate monomer is mixed with a catalyst of organic peroxide is poured between two glass molds spaced at the desired sheet thickness apartment and allowed to cool and harden.
Plexiglass and acrylic glasses can also be made through a process called extrusion. During extrusion, raw acrylic granules are fused in a heated metal cylinder, passed through a rotating die, and rolled out by extruders into the desired shape and thickness.
The processes produce different kinds of acrylic glass; in both cases, the glass is strong, durable, shatter resistant, and aesthetically pleasing.
Why is Plexiglass Better Than Real Glass?
Plexiglass and acrylic glass are often better for businesses looking to protect themselves from smash-and-grab attacks. While both traditional glass and acrylic glass can be bulletproof, acrylic glass offers several distinct advantages.
- Bulletproof acrylic glass is significantly lighter than traditional bulletproof glass, which makes it easier to transport and install. It is also often compatible with many existing window frames.
- Acrylic glass has better shatterproof properties, adding durability if hit with a blunt object during a smash-and-grab.
- Acrylic glass is more moldable and adaptable, giving it a wider range of uses.
- Acrylic glass is also chemical-resistant in case potential thieves attempt to use a corrosive liquid to enter your property.
- Acrylic glass is available in various colors, which often makes it a more attractive option.
Protect Your Business with Windows from Plastic Zone
Don’t let your business become another crime statistic. Purchase bulletproof glass for businesses from Plastic Zone, and rest assured that your business is protected with the best acrylic glass on the market.
Plastic Zone has several kinds of bulletproof glass for sale, allowing you to choose the right color, size, and shape. From acrylic Plexiglass to bullet resistant fiberglass, Plastic Zone has what you need to keep your business safe.
Contact us today at (818) 698-2841 to speak with our sales staff to learn more about which type of acrylic glass is suitable for your business’ security needs.